Sunday, January 24, 2010

Christmas Cactus!


Hallelujah! This Christmas Cactus is real!!! I have to tell you, my Aunt Hazel, God rest her soul, gave me two little clippings from her Christmas Cactus probably ten years ago (or more!). I rooted them, planted them and proceeded to torture them for the next decade plus. The plant moved with us to our new home and it's new home on the screened porch almost five years ago. After each summer, I'd bring it into the kitchen and sit it by the sink so it would get a drink or two from the faucet as I did the dishes (and I don't do dishes every day!). This year, I became the care-giver to Rachael's houseplants until they found their permanent home. This past fall, I moved her plants to the master bath and set them around the tub. I decided to move the Christmas Cactus in there also. Bingo! It must have liked the cooler, darker location (or it's new found friends) because a few weeks after Christmas, I noticed little buds appearing at the end of each section. Sure enough, the buds grew daily and now we have beautiful pink blossoms everywhere! I can't believe my eyes. I feel so bad for not having treated this poor thing better all these years. Maybe it's a sign that 2010 is going to be a really good year.

Isn't it ironic that this plant is just like me....late for Christmas but still wanted to acknowledge the holiday is grand fashion. Merry Christmas Cactus!

1 comment:

Barb said...

See what a little TLC can do?!
Beautiful blossoms. :)