Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Sad News on our Lane

My neighbor passed away last week and I was in a quandry about what to do. My mom (who lives across the lane) jumped in a took a fruit basket over. Her neighbor, Deanna, suggested we all get together and combine our donations to buy a tree for Mrs. Verst to plant in her yard in memory of her husband. We are the 'new people' on our little lane and right next door. Inspired by the recipe book I made for Deb Lewis, I decided a memory book might be the right thing. I constructed the base and turned over pages for the neighbors to sign to the collectors, Mom and Deanna. I took a B/W photo of each neighbor's house to use in the book. It was dreary and raining (in fact it has been raining for days and days and days). They ended up collecting $285 and the greenhouse rounded it up to $300. Here's what I ended up with and Mrs. Verst said it's her most cherished gift of sympathy:






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your sympathy book is such a thoughtful idea, Debbie. I am sure that your neighbor will cherish it forever.

Marcy

Patti G. said...

Debbie, This was a tremendous gift to her! I am sure that she will love it and your idea was very touching and she must appreciate that so much in her time of need! The tree was a great idea too and how nice for the nursery to round up your collection too! There is "heart" in people still! Hugs,Patti

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Debbie - this is just lovely!! :)